Saturday, November 5, 2011

Waiting on a train............


I decided to to a ride through the west side of downtown Jacksonville, on the way back I got stuck at a train track for quite a while. While I was siting on my bike pondering the length of the steal beast that was passing in front of me a thought came to my mind: This train sort of represented my current state of affairs.  Having just gotten off of one of life's trains, I now find my self waiting to board another.  I am just not sure what it will be.  Doing the same thing for 22 years tends to make one complacent.  I feel like the character from Shawshank Redemption: Brooks Hatlen, so wonderfully portrayed by James Whitmore.  Like old Brooks, I was institutionalized.  Granted, I was not in prison, but the military is very structured.  I couldn't just up and quit  any time I wanted, and "the man" always had his thumb on my back.  Not knowing just what to do has led me back to school to study Psychology.  Do you know what is so damn ironic about this?  I'll tell you: twenty two years ago I was attending college and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.  I seeming postponed making a decision by doing the obvious, I enlisted in the Navy. though my name's not "Davey", though I was in the navy, for life!  I digress.  Now, here I sit not knowing what to do with the rest of my life. How do I, again, postpone making a decision?  I go back to school.  Life has a funny way of taking you full circle.  Here is the thing: it's not really a circle at all, It's more like a cork screw moving sideways.  As it loops back around you get the feeling that you've been here before.  Unlike Brooks, who couldn't handle the outside and put himself out of his misery, I plan on boarding another train and seeing where It takes me.  Speaking truthfully, I did almost let it get the better of me.  However, equipped with an  explorer's sense of adventure, I feel that I am ready to see whats next in this beautiful life.

One last thought: I enabled add placement on my blog because I might be able to make a little money.  I am not sure If I like this, The adds are annoying and I don't think it is worth the extra income.  What do you think?  I think I know the answer, but let me know anyway.

Until next time, "Stay Classy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment