Wednesday, January 18, 2012

10 Things to Love about Riding Your Bike



As I write this, it’s a cool and rainy day here in north Florida.  I’ll be reduced to riding my indoor trainer to complete my days training.  Blehhh! I would much rather be outside on my bike.  Instead, I’ll be sitting on a steal creation that delivers none of the enjoyment normally associated with riding; but instead delivers self-inflicted pain.  Much as man is meant to walk upright, so to, man is meant to ride his/her bike outside.  Lying in bed early this morning listening to the sound of water hitting my roof, I was thinking about how grateful I am to be able to enjoy this sport and as I did, I compiled a short-list of some of the things I enjoy so much.  If you love to ride as much as I do, then you probably can relate to some if not all of these.
Putting on cycling kit is a ritualistic and enjoyable experience.  The process of getting dressed for a ride gets you focused and for me, a little giddy like a little kid as he anticipates getting outside to play
Clipping in to the pedals signifies the start of the experience, and when done, well is a graceful thing.  Of course when we fumble to clip in, trying to find that damn little pedal, we feel clumsy and awkward.  But that’s just being vain.  But still, I love the feeling, as if I’m starting out on an adventure.
Socializing on group rides is so much fun.  Everybody has something in common and the conversation comes easy.   Talking passes the time, you learn a few things, and grow to appreciate your companions in the pack.
Snot Rockets are a guilty pleasure I love.  The act of leaning over, pinching one nostril, and then launching a stream of snot out of your nose is so cool.  Before you get all disgusted, consider that being a “Snot Rocketeer” is a requirement.  When you ride your body tends to open up, blood circulates, you sweat, and your sinuses move mucus.  Hey, it’s got to go somewhere and better out than in!
I think of the risks and rewards of cycling as being like karma.  To throw a leg over a bike and ride comes with the possibility of being struck by a car, having a wreck, dogs running at you, enraged motorists; so many things that it can be scary thing.  However, the rewards far outweigh any of the risk.  I firmly believe that no great thing is ever achieved without risk.  Cycling is that: a great thing.
Track Stands are cool!  Arriving at a red light and coming to a stop while balancing your bike without unclipping from the pedals is the bomb.  Yes it is a bit of a show-off, “hey look at me” thing to do, but every time I do this I feel like I am cheating gravity and the laws of physics.  Einstein didn’t know crap about riding a bike
Passing cars in traffic, super sweet!  You have to love weaving your way through traffic that’s at a standstill, all the while, the drivers glare, as if they’re saying “you rat bastard, I wish I was on that bike!”  It brings a smile to my face every time.
Tail Winds, enough said.
Too many times I’m riding fast and making myself hurt, or I’m in a pack seeing nothing but rubber and asses.  I end up not seeing the beauty around me.  I love my easy rides when I can take it all in.  It reminds me that it’s okay to slow down and take it easy.  This applies to more than riding a bike.
The physical connection I feel when I am dialed in to my bike is awesome.  Feeling that I am part of my bike, one unit that responds to what the road throws at me without thought or hesitation.  It’s a thing of beauty.   
That’s it, my ten things I love about riding my bike.  What are yours?   If you are having trouble thinking of your own list, you obviously haven’t been on your bike enough.  My suggestion is to get outside, and ride your bike like you stole it!

No comments:

Post a Comment