Monday, April 9, 2012

Take One Bike Ride and Call Me In The Morning

I find it simply amazing, how the power a bike ride has to bring me out of a funk, and help me put things in prespective.  Lately I have felt a little down about some personal matters that quite frankly, I have zero control over.  I want these things to conclude themselves so that I can move on with my life.  Today I was really moving sideways, shit, I couldn't even make a smoothie without managing to dump the blenders contents in the sink.  I became angry and frustrated, feeling like I could do not one thing right.  Of course I wasn't making it easy for myself, letting my brain race and move from thought to thought makes it hard for me to concentrate on a task.  As the day went on, I got more down.  However, I was able to see what I was allowing to happen, I knew that i needed to make a change in my way of thinking and to help spark that change, I needed to ride my bike to clear my head.  But there in lies the rub - when dealing with depression, knowing and doing are two different things.  I procrastinated, stayed upset and let the day go by until I finally dragged my ass out of the house and onto my bike.  An hour and a half ride is by no means a great physical feat, but did it ever do wonders for my soul!  I was able to clear my mind and focus on one task - pedaling my bike.  After a while, my thoughts returned to my situation, but with a different perspective.  I remembered what learned as a patient at Lakewood,  I put my problems to the sanity test.  Can I control whats happening? No!  So don't catastrophize about it.  I am going to focus on the things I can control and not allow the other things to fill my mind with negative thoughts.  I am human, things will still make me mad but I will not let these things infect me like a plague.  The bottom line is this: I have a lot of things going for me and I am going to be smarter than my problems, and exercise patience.  Oh, and I will maintain my sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment